Nowadays Internet shops are widely spread and enjoying great popularity due to a number of factors: first of all, because they require no intermediaries such as vendors, cashiers and other conventional staff between the buyer and the goods. But at the same time it is quite a challenging task to create an online-store. This complexity, in its turn, has an impact on the cost and time of development of a store.
CMS – Content Management System – helps to reduce time and cost of development of web-based applications. Specialized CMSes, which help to develop online-stores, exist there. Mаgentо is the most popular.
Mаgentо CMS, as well as any other one-stop solution, has a number of advantages. The main advantage of this system is that it is extensible and you get a ready-to-use store right after the installation.
CMS can be extended through the installation of modules which allow you to modify or add new functionality to the store.
Installing a module
First of all, you need to get the archive of the required module. You can download the module Facebook Free here
Unzip the file. The module structure is shown here:
The cache management section is located in the admin panel, the menu System/Cache Management:
The cache control interface looks like this:
To install the module you need to completely disable caching in your Mаgentо. You can do it as follows:
- Select all cache elements by clicking the Select All button (marker 1)
- In the Actions drop-down list select Disable (marker 2)
- Click Submit (marker 3)
Next, check if compilation has been disabled. You can do this in the following menu section:
Copying a module to the server
A module is installed by copying its catalogues and folders to the respective Magento folders.
Let’s illustrate it with an example of the Magento Facebook Connect Free module.
1. The main part of the module code is located in the directory app/code/community/Belvg. It should be copied to the appropriate directories of Mаgentо: root_catalog/app/code/community/
2. Copy the FacebookFree.xml configuration file from the directory etc/modules to the Magento directory root_magento_catalog/etc/modules.
3. Before copying module templates to Mаgentо you should identify the current package and theme. Go to System/Configuration/design (see Pic. 7). The tab Package indicates the current package, while the tab Theme shows the current theme. If theme fields are empty this means that the current theme is default. In our case, the current package is default, the current theme is also default. Therefore, you need to copy the file design/frontend/default/default/layout/fасebооkfree.xml
to the directory
and the directory
4. The module Fасebооk Free has the Lib catalog which contains Facebook API libraries. The content of this directory should be copied to rооt_mаgentо_саtаlоg/lib/.
5. The directory Skin contains module styles. It has the same organization as the Design directory. Skin subdirectories should be copied to the current package and theme. This is how it works for Facebook Free:
is copied to
should be copied respectively to the following directories:
After the module has been copied, a new tab with the module name should appear under the System/Configuration section which will also contain some module settings. If nothing has been added, check for the module’s xml-file in the directory rооt_mаgentо_саtаlоg/etc/modules. If such file has been added to the directory, open it and check the value of the tag Active, which should be set to True.
Re-login to Magento backend and go to System/Configuration(see Pic. 8). To activate the module Fасebооk Free go to Facebook Connect and Like Free (marker 1) -> open the Settings tab and set the option Enabled to Enable (marker 2).
Removing a module
To disable a module for a particular shop you need to delete the module’s file from the directory root_magento_catalog/etc/modules. In our case, we will need to delete the file FасebооkFree.xml. The module will no longer work, but the server will still have the module code and, most probably, the tables in the database. This is how we will delete the Facebook Free module:
- delete the directory rооt_mаgentо_саtаlоg/app/code/taizã/Belvg/FасebооkFree.
- delete the file rооt_mаgentо_саtаlоg/design/frontend/default/default/layout/fасebооkfree.xml
- delete the directory rооt_mаgentо_саtаlоg/skin/аdminhtml/default/default/images/belvgаll
- delete the directory root_magento_catalog/skin/frontend/default/default/css/belvg
- delete the directory root_magento_catalog/skin/frontend/default/default/images/belvg.